Tuesday, February 9, 2010

82nd Oscar Nominees



And the Oscar goes to...won't be heard for about a month, but the nominees were announced last week. This year, the Best Picture category has 10 nominees, which I think is really stupid. Regardless, it happened. After I watch "A Serious Man" tonight, I'll have seen 6 of the 10, so I'll try to see them all before the big ceremony.

Best Picture
Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Prediction: Like I said, I've seen 6. This is a preliminary guess, but I'd go with "The Hurt Locker." If you look at all the nominees and things, though, I'd guess "Up in the Air" will probably take it. Its gotten a lot of buzz, and is more recent than "Locker."

Actor in a Leading Role
Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart"
George Clooney, "Up in the Air"
Colin Firth, "A Single Man"
Morgan Freeman, "Invictus"
Jeremy Renner, "The Hurt Locker"

Prediction: I've only seen "The Hurt Locker", and Renner was good, but I'd guess Freeman might nab this one.

Actor in a Supporting Role
Matt Damon, "Invictus"
Woody Harrelson, "The Messenger"
Christopher Plummer, "The Last Station"
Stanley Tucci, "The Lovely Bones"
Christoph Waltz, "Inglourious Basterds"

Prediction: I've only seen "Basterds" in this group, but regardless, I think Waltz will win. He was excellent, and the buzz was building even when the film was released in the summer.

Actress in a Leading Role
Sandra Bullock, "The Blind Side"
Helen Mirren, "The Last Station"
Carey Mulligan, "An Education"
Gabourey Sidibe, "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"
Meryl Streep, "Julie & Julia"

Prediction: I've only seen "Juli" in this group, but Streep was incredible as the famous Child. You might see Bullock surprise, or Sidibe, who has been highly praised. My gut says Streep. She does a dead-on Child impression.

Actress in a Supporting Role
Penelope Cruz, "Nine"
Vera Farmiga, "Up in the Air"
Maggie Gyllenhaal, "Crazy Heart"
Anna Kendrick, "Up in the Air"
Mo'Nique, "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire

Prediction: Haven't seen any of these, but I'd like to see Farmiga or Gyllenhaal nab it.

Directing
James Cameron, "Avatar"
Kathryn Bigelow, "The Hurt Locker"
Quentin Tarantino, "Inglourious Basterds"
Lee Daniels, "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"
Jason Reitman, "Up in the Air"

Prediction: I think either Cameron or Reitman will get this one, but I'd love to see Tarantino get it.

These are the major categories. Click here for a full listing. What are your predictions? Let's here some feedback.

1 comment:

  1. Predictions: Hurt Locker, Bigelow, Jeff Bridges, Meryl Streep, Waltz, Monique.

    ReplyDelete