Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New movie Tuesday

Not a real deep list of releases today, but one really good standout that I've seen, but rented so I can watch again. I went with "The Hurt Locker," an awesome movie about a bomb technician team in Iraq in 2004. It's excellent and really thrilling. I saw it in the theaters in June, but it could very well be nominated or win the Oscar for Best Picture in 2009, so I couldn't resist refreshing my memory. I'll have the review up soon.

Also out today, some movie called "Moon" I have never heard of, the film version of the TV show "Fame" and Rob Zombie's "Halloween II." I just looked up Moon, and it actually looks pretty cool. I didn't see it at Crazy Mike's, but if I find it I'll check it out. Anyone seen it and have an opinion? Click here for a link to its IMDB page.

As for the Best Picture category in the Oscars, I spoke to my dad earlier about this, and he told me they are expanding the category from the normal five films to TEN! To me, that's insane. It's basically a ploy so 10 stupid movies can say "Nominated for Best Picture." That seems idiotic to me, and all about money for the movie industry. Even with 5, it seems to me there is always a clear cut one that should win. What are they going to do with 10? Here's a link to a New York Times article about it from this summer.

The article says they try to justify it because some of the major movies weren't nominated. Last year, I saw all five best picture films, and had a pretty good feeling "Slumdog" would and should win. Let me know how you guys feel about this.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, i agree. that decision is pretty demented--they're just watering down that category.

    ReplyDelete