Tuesday, November 24, 2009

An Awesome 'Trek'



I'm not a "trekkie" by any means, but the newest film, "Star Trek" is great for new and old fans of the show. My mom, a casual fan of the show when it was out, saw it in theaters and raved about it, so I had no choice but to watch it when it came out on DVD last week, and I was not disappointed.

The film gives a background on all the key characters from the show (I presume) and sets the stage for a series of these movies. We see how James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) is born, and how he starts at the Starfleet Academy. We also see the journey of Spock (Zachary Quinto), a young genius whose father is Vulcan and mother is human. Other more secondary characters are introduced as well, and the stage is set for an exciting adventure where the young heroes quickly ascend the ranks of the Federation. Wow...just reading the last paragraph makes me sound like a total trekkie; you will too once you watch this film.

The dialogue is smart and funny, and any references to the TV show are pretty subtle, and not a major part of the movie that will take anything away if you weren't a fan (as far as I know). The acting is good too; I thought Pine was great as a young, brash Kirk. The action is excellent, with some very cool scenes. The scene on the drill may be the best in the movie, and is pretty intense. I think lots of people will enjoy this film, not just people who like action. Like I said, the three major important parts of a movie: dialogue, acting and action, are all very good, so definitely check this one out. I hope they're planning another.

"Star Trek" is rated PG-13 for language, space violence and some adult situations.

8 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment