Monday, September 21, 2009

A bite and a blog



Knowing nothing about the new film "Julie & Julia" may have helped me like the film more than if I had known the story. So I'm going to ruin it for you by telling you the story.

I'm just kidding, it didn't ruin it for me, but it was cool really not knowing anything about it, from what it was about to who the main character was. The movie begins with a caption telling you it is based not on one, but TWO true stories, which is correct: one part of the movie is based on the life of Julia Child, the legendary cook, and the other on the blogger who emulated her to the point of obsession, Julie Powell. Child's part of the movie is based on her memoir "My Life in France," while Powell's part is based on her book "Julie and Julia: 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment."

Julie is played by Amy Adams ("Doubt"), and tells the story of how she started a blog chronicling her attempt to cook all 524 recipes in Child's cookbook "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in one year. It's her life as a lowly cubicle worker at a bureacratic organization, paralelled with the joy she has when cooking.

Her story is intertwined with Child's, played by Meryl Streep ("Doubt") which explores how she got into cooking while living as a diplomat in France. The idea is that you will see the similarities between the two, despite 50 years difference in time and two different mediums, books and blogs. It's an interesting way to look at this story, and I thought it was very well done.

I love food, and the cooking scenes are fabulous, especially the finished products, some of which look absolutely delicious. With the rise of the Food Network and how popular cooking has become, most people will have no problem watching this film. It's about life and cooking and that fuzzy line in between; for Child and even Powell, cooking was the best part of their lives. We see each struggle, Child as a diplomat moving from place to place, and Powell in a dead-end job living in a small apartment in Queens. It's real life played out on a big stage for both, and the film does a great job of paralleling and comparing the two.

I have little doubt that Meryl Streep will be nominated, and quite possibly win, the Academy Award for her portrayal of Child. I had never seen Child's cooking show before, so I didn't really get Streep's performance until I watched some of the real Child's PBS show on YouTube. Child stands out; she's tall, curly haired, and she had a great voice that fluctuates in sound. It seems like the upper part of her body is constantly in motion. Streep nails her every tic, which makes the movie that much more fun to watch.

Adams is great as well. It's almost scary how obsessed it seems Powell was with not only Child's cooking but Child herself. Still, she has a great story as an aspiring blogger who gains a real following, but I don't really feel sorry for her at any point. I see where she's coming from as a blogger though. As someone who writes a blog, I too wonder, is anyone reading this? Does anyone care about my perspective or opinion? Does anyone even read these words I write? It brings up such great questions about the internet: everyone can have a voice for free, but does anyone hear that voice? In her case, they did; in mine, I think not so much. But I still love this form of expression, and so did she, regardless of if people read her blog; she just liked doing what she loved.

As I walked out of the theater, someone in the small crowd described the film as "refreshing," and I think that's a nice way to describe it. I really enjoyed it, and it's a happy, fun film. I think it will appeal to most people, regardless of age group.

"Julie & Julia" is rated PG-13 because of some language, and sexuality. I think it's OK for all ages; I saw kids of about 8 or 10 in the theater. Might be more appreciated by older people than that, especially those that love food. It's playing at the Polson Showboat until at least Thursday, so check it out while it's still around.

7 stars out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment